"A Passion to Inspire"
One thing that unites all those working in the hospitality industry is the extraordinary passion for ingredients, cooking, service and quality, which is something that A Passion to Inspire has been nurturing in young people since 2009.
Initially developed to create stronger links between education and industry, A Passion to Inspire is a charity that works with colleges, farms and top chefs to inspire, encourage and support students in their chosen careers.
From its initial format as a competition, the non-profit-making initiative was founded by Murray Chapman in 2009 and has expanded to work with over 160 colleges, including Sheffield, East Kent, Farnborough, Birmingham , Leeds, Manchester, Milton Keynes, Forth Valley, Trafford, Penwith and Truro and West Suffolk. It is open to all students at any level, including front of house and kitchen.
From visits to RSPCA Assured-approved farms, and great farms like Dingley Dell Pork and Loch Duart Salmon to taking part in the Flying Visit programme. This gives students the chance to be involved in major industry events, colleges get to meet top chefs, restaurateurs and hoteliers, as well as producers, growers and suppliers. Through their charity dinners, A Passion to Inspire has raised over a staggering £230,000 for charities such as NSPCC, Teenage Cancer Trust and Hospitality Action.
It’s not only the students who get to enjoy being part of this dynamic initiative, the incredible list of chefs who work with them also relish being involved with the innovative project. Adam Reid, Andrew Nutter, Rupert Rowley, Adam Smith, Alan Paton, Chris Lee, Adam Simmonds, Nick Claxton - Webb, Russell Bateman and Eric Snaith are just a handful of chefs who have worked with "A Passion to Inspire".
“I have been involved with A Passion to Inspire from the start. The charity works with over 160 colleges and hundreds of students, inspiring them to create great food and, more importantly, develop themselves in our fantastic industry.
- Mark Poynton, Chef Patron at MJP Restaurants.
“Everyone knows that involving young aspiring student chefs in any kitchen will always lead to them achieving success and a definite strong platform for high achievement in the future. To work with young enthusiastic and talented students and chefs is always an honour, spreading the knowledge to them on new cultures and foods from different continents is a pleasure. At Passion much is done to Inspire young people to hit above and beyond their small goals and ambitions, which makes it a magnificent organisation that aims to help in achieving these goals! For me it is a joy to work with them and help them help young people on their journey of success."
- Cyrus Todiwala OBE DL DBA of Café Spice Namaste.
- Inspired thousands of students and given them belief in themselves
- Developed links with over hundreds of great lecturers
- Working with 150 colleges nationally across Great Britain
- Building the bridge between education and industry helping young people
find the right career path for them with brilliant employers
- As one magnificent team raised over £230,000 for many charities such as NSPCC – Teenage Cancer Trust and Hospitality Action
- Involved with some of the country’s leading Chefs
- Introducing young people to the source of food and fantastic farmers
- The Craft Guild Of Chefs 'People's Choice' Award Winner 2019
Aims and Goals
- Help and educate the next generation
- Support employers in growing their business
- Development of farm visits and education
- New training programmes with organisations such as MCSUK
- New inspiring Upskill Days with chefs, partners and employers
- Bringing education and Industry closer together
- In this current world we all have to pull together to inspire each other